Merrimack 275th Anniversary Planning Committee

On April 2, 1746, Governor Benning Wentworth signed a charter establishing that the land from Pennichuck Brook to the Souhegan River became the Town of Merrymac. At that time fewer than 50 families lived here. Pawtucket, Nashaway and Pennacook people camped along the banks of the Merrimack and Souhegan rivers. The Pennacooks were greatest in numbers, and their chief, Passaconaway, was the ruler of all the tribes in the Merrimack Valley. From April thru November 2021, a total of 32 different events and activities were held to commemorate this momentous occassion.

Within Twin Bridge Park, there is a path that follows the follow the original road thru the Town of Merrimack. This path crosses over two bridges over Baboosic Brook where Twin Bridge Park gets its name from. At the time, these crossings featured covered bridges. The Committee is starting to work on a long term plan to build a new covered bridge over the first river crossing of Baboosic Brook to bring back a piece of our history as a gift to the Community.  Plans for fundraising for this endeavor are just beginning and additional details will be announced in the future.

In celebration of the Town of Merrimack’s 275th Anniversary which was celebrated in 2021, the dream is to build a covered bridge that represents our past, present, and future. The covered bridge will be our gift to Merrimack that will last a century and more. It will create a beautiful shelter for our families to enjoy and open twenty acres of natural beauty. It will provide a venue for weddings, picnics, and events in our town center. Each one of us can make our community a better place to live by donating to this future. This park has significant historical importance to Merrimack and holds potential as a prominent environmental resource. This project is endorsed by the Merrimack Town Center Committee and the Merrimack Town Council. To complete the project, $500,000 in funds needs to be raised to cover the estimated construction fees from Arnold Graton Associates, the foremost authority on covered bridges in the country.

Recognition Levels for the Grist Mill Bridge Project

  • Friends $0 - $99
  • Partners $100 - $299
  • Benefactors $300 - $499
  • Bridge Builders $500 - $999
  • Founders $1000 - $4,999
  • Naticook Society $5,000 - $14,999
  • Granite Society $15,000+

As of December 7, 2022 , the Committee has raised $14,931.92 towards this project. If you would like to make a contribution towards the Covered Bridge Project. A tax deductible donation can be made payable to the Town of Merrimack and mailed to:

Town of Merrimack
Covered Bridge Project
6 Baboosic Lake Road
Merrimack, NH 03054

For questions, please contact Parks & Recreation Dircector, Matt Casparius at 603-882-1046 or by email at