PFOA/PFAS Water Information UPDATE(s)
In an effort to continue our commitment to the residents of Merrimack and to ensure transparency, the Town Council has and will continue to monitor and report on the PFOA water situation. We are compiling and maintaining information from a variety of sources as it becomes available to us.
The following links will provide information that we have received and we will continue to update.
Initial inquiry regarding town water should be directed to Merrimack Village District at 603-424-9241 and for private wells please contact Jim Martin, NHDES Public Information Officer at 603-271-3710.
The Town Council wants to assure the public that we remain vigilant regarding the safety of our residents and are making every effort to keep abreast of the myriad of complex issues related to this problem. The Town Manager communicates almost daily with the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services (NHDES) seeking information and advocating for our residents. Please check the Town’s website for a compilation of information and new information as we receive and post it.
As you know, NHDES has prioritized analysis of the private wells within a 1 mile radius of the Saint-Gobain site and undertaken other studies on the site in an attempt to determine the scope of the contamination. It is our understanding that the radius will move beyond the one mile radius as results indicate. In the meantime, those who are not within the 1.5 mile radius and wish their wells to be tested should submit their information at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NHDES-S-03-008
The New Hampshire Department of Environment Services (NHDES) website also has a large volume of information from many sources that is intended to address resident concerns:
If you would like to receive email updates from NHDES regarding this investigation, please email email@example.com.
As the information has become available, questions regarding soil, air quality, and any materials substitutions must also be addressed by the NHDES. The Council will push these concerns as well with them.
As you know, the Merrimack Village District (MVD) is a separate entity under state law. Although we have no legal authority over the Merrimack Village District, we communicate with them frequently, exchange information, and monitor their tests analyses and future plans. The MVD has been diligently working for resolution of the PFOA chemical in our Town water supply. They regularly contact and meet with their consultants and NHDES. The MVD has signed a contract with Underwood Engineering to research filtration systems and make recommendations regarding viable options for the District in about 6 weeks. Information from the MVD is available at: http://www.mvdwater.org/
The Town is joining with Litchfield, Bedford and Londonderry in a consortium to focus on: monitoring and sharing information, responding to common concerns of our residents, and dealing with NHDES and Saint-Gobain.
On Friday, April 8, 2016, Senator Ayotte met with representatives of the affected communities and the MVD to get a more in-depth look at the PFOA issues. The following actions by Senator Ayotte were suggested:
1. Encourage the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to quickly establish lifetime PFOA levels in order to evaluate all water resources for safety.
2. Encourage the EPA to establish a consistent laboratory standard upon which all testing water can be evaluated.
3. Encourage the federal and regional EPA to become more visible and active in this investigation.
4. Further explore and investigate the historical and current air quality monitoring practices of the NHDES.
- 6/25/18 & 6/26/18 - PFAS Community Engagement Event with the EPA
A four part series on Merrimack TV:
Day 1 Part 1: "Program Overview and Community Presentations"
Day 1 Part 2: "Listening Session"
Day 2 Part 1: "State and Community Panels"
Day 2 Part 2: "Indentifying, Communicating, and Addressing PFAS"
- 3/27/18 - Merrimack Village District (MVD) and Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics (SGPPL) Reach Settlement Agreement
- 3/27/17 - MVD Supply Wells 4 & 5 Investigation Report
- 3/23/16 - PFOA Public Information Meeting in Merrimack - Please click here to view
- Public Information Meetings RE: PFOA in Merrimack Water
- MVD Water Supply and PFOA (Saint-Gobain Facility in Merrimack)
- 7/30/18 - Support Letter for Merrimack Village District Grant Application - Artificial Recharge Project (MVD Wells 4 & 5)
- 6/28/18 - EPA PFAS Summit Summary from Sarita Croce (Asst. DPW Director/Wastewater)
- 6/25/18 - Testimony Provided to the EPA Summit from the Merrimack Town Council
- 4/27/18 - Sample Letter Sent to Eligilble Property Owners re: Merrimack Public Water System Connections
- 4/27/18 - Merrimack Public Water System Connections Contact List
- 4/17/18 - NHDES Letter to Saint Gobain re: Work Plan for Residential Well Sampling
- 4/13/18 - NHDES Letter to Saint Gobain re: Review of Draft Site Investigation Work Plan, Draft Initial Site Characterization Report & Updated Tables3.5A & 3.5B (Draft Initial Site Investigation Report)
- 3/14/18 - NHDES Stormwater and Surface Water Summary Investigation Report re: Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics
- 2/15/18 - House Bill 485 Merrimack Town Council Comment Letter to State Senators
- 2/15/18 - House Bill 1101 Merrimack Town Council Comment Letter to State Reps.
- 2/13/18 -Town Council & Town Manager Letter to Mr. Flatley re: Multi-Family Project & PFAS
- 9/22/16 - DHHS Letter to Merrimack Town Council re: Random Blood Sampling of Merrimack Village District (MVD) Customers
- 9/21/16 - Merrimack Village District (MVD) Perfluorochemical (PFC) Community Exposure Assessment
- 6/15/16 - New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) to Offer PFC Blood Testing to Residents Impacted by PFC Contamination in Drinking Water
- 6/10/16 - *Press Release* - NHDES to Hold Public Information Meeting in Merrimack - Wednesday, June 29 @ 7:00 PM
- 5/31/16 - *Press Release* - NHDES to Hold Public Information Meeting in Bedford - Thursday, June 2 @ 6:30 PM
- 5/19/16 - *Press Release* - NHDES Welcomes New U.S. EPA Health Advisory for Perfluorooctanoic Acid (PFOA) and Perfluorooctane Sulfonate (PFOS)
Scroll down to EPA to Read Advisories
- 5/17/16 -*Press Release* - Southern NH PFOA Investigation Update Groundwater Results from the Former Merrimack Town Landfill Contain Elevated Concentrations of PFOA
- 5/16/16 - Letter from Senator Ayotte to the EPA
- 5/4/16 - *Press Release* - NHDES and Saint-Gobain Announce Agreement to Fund Design Work on Potential Public Water Extension
- 5/3/16 - Merrimack Village District (MVD) Letter to NHDES re: PFCs in the Municipal Drinking Water System
- 4/22/16 - *Press Release* - NHDES Updated Drinking Water Well Test Results for Southern N.H. PFOA Investigation
- 4/21/16 - Updated PFOA investigation WELL RESULTS MAP & WELL RESULTS TABLE
- 4/19/16 - *Press Release* - NHDES Bottled Water Pickup
- 4/18/16 - PFOA Investigation Phone Line Established for Public Questions
- 4/14/16 - *Press Release* - NHDES Groundwater and Soil Sample Results from the Saint-Gobain Facility
- 4/13/16 - *Press Release* NHDES Expansion of Private Well Testing Radius from 1 mile to 1.5 miles
- 4/12/16 - *Press Release* Shaheen Speaks with EPA Administrator about PFOA Contamination
- 4/11/16 - Town Council PFOA Update
- 4/7/16 - *Press Release* NHDES - NHDES Southern N.H. PFOA Investigation Update Bottled Water to Be Provided to Approximately 400 Properties
- 4/1/16 - Letter from NHDES to Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics
- 4/1/16 - Public Statement from Saint-Gobain
- 3/29/16 - *Press Release* NHDES - Updated Drinking Water Well Test Results for Southern N.H. PFOA Investigation
- 3/28/16 - Letter from Senator Ayotte to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) re: PFOA Levels
- 3/10/16 - Governors Letter RE: PFOA in drinking water
|EPA - United States Environmental Protection Agency:|
- 6/11/18 - EPA to Hold New England Community Engagement on PFAS on Monday, June 25, 2018
- May 2016 - Drinking Health Advisories for PFOA and PFOS
- May 2016 - Drinking Water Health Advisory for Perfluorooctanoic Acid (PFOA)
|New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services (NHDES):|
- 3/19/18 - NHDES - Public Information Meeting re: Discuss Status of Negotiations with Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics Related to the Presence of PFOA in Drinking Water Wells
- January 2018 - Cancer Incidence Report (Merrimack, NH)
- 6/29/16 - NHDES **Presentation** Public Information Meeting - Merrimack
- 6/24/16 - NHDES - PFOA Contamination Southern NH Weekly Update
- 6/17/16 - NHDES - PFOA Contamination Southern NH Weekly Update
- 6/13/16 - NHDES Letter to Saint Gobain re: Requests Due to the Test Results of Wells 4 & 5
- 6/10/16 - NHDES - PFOA Conatamination Southern NH Weekly Update
- 6/8/16 - NHDES Letter to MVD re: Inactivation of Wells 4 & 5
- 6/3/16 - NHDES - PFOA Contamination Southern NH Weekly Update
- 5/27/16 - NHDES - Merrimack Landfill PFOA Investigation Map
- 5/27/16 - NHDES - PFOA Contamination Southern NH Weekly Update
- 5/20/16 - NHDES - PFOA Contamination Southern NH Weekly Update
- 5/13/16 - NHDES - PFOA Contamination Southern NH Weekly Update
- 4/26/16 - NHDES - Public Water Test Results - Merrimack Village District and Pennichuck Corporation
- NHDES **Presentation** Public Information Meeting - Merrimack
- NHDES - Investigation into Perfluorooctanoic Acid (PFOA) Found in Southern NH Drinking Water (INCLUDES LINKS FOR INFORMATIONAL HANDOUTS FROM PUBLIC MEETING)
- NHDES – Initial PFOA test results in Southern NH