Disposal Guidelines for Medications in the Home
Help Prevent Pollution, Poisonings and Drug Abuse!
Dispose of your Unneeded Medication – 6 Steps to Safety
- Pour medicine into a sealable plastic bag.
- If the medicine is a solid, add a small amount of water to dissolve it.
- Add any undesirable substance (such as dirt, coffee grounds or kitty litter) to the liquid medicine in the plastic bag.
- Seal the bag and immediately dispose of it in the trash for regular pickup.
- Use a marker to black out any personal contact information on
- the empty medicine container prior to disposing of it in the trash.
- For more information, consult www.nh.gov/medsafety.
- Do NOT flush medicine down the toilet unless accompanying product information instructs that it is safe to do so.
- Don't keep unneeded medications in the home.
- Medicine collection events, if readily available, are also goodoptions for safely disposing of unwanted medicine.
- For more information or in case of an accidental poisoning, callthe poison center at 1-800-222-1222.
Solid Waste Transfer Station & Recycling Facility
Fearon RoadMerrimack, NH 03054