Marriage Licenses and Certificates
A couple getting married in the State of New Hampshire may apply for their marriage license in any Town Clerk’s office in the state. They must provide proof of identification and age (both parties must be at least 18 years of age). A state driver's license is sufficient in most cases. If either of the contracting parties has been previously married, that person must provide a certified copy of a divorce/annulment decree, the death certificate of a deceased spouse or a civil union dissolution.
If you wish to apply for your marriage license in Merrimack, kindly plan to arrive no later than 4:00 PM to complete the application process.
Same Gender Marriage became effective on 1/1/2010.
The license is valid for 90 days from the date of issue.
Effective July 14, 2015 the fee for a marriage license is $50.00.
Both applicants must be appear together and provide the following information on the application worksheet provided when you arrive:
(1) Full Name
(2) usual residence
(4) date of birth
(5) social security number
(6) father's full name and birthplace
(7) mother's full name, maiden name, and birthplace
(8) the name each party will use AFTER marriage
After the marriage occurs, the officiant completes the license and returns it to the town of applicancy, after which the couple may obtain a copy of the marriage certificate.
To obtain the record one or both of the parties may:
* return to the office with ID to complete the request for the record
* mail a signed written request with the appropriate fee, copy of ID and all pertinent information - names of parties, date and location of marriage, and address to which they want the license sent
* requests may also be made through our on-line application by clicking on this button:
A picture ID is required to accompany the request.
The fee for the certificate is $15.00 for the first copy, and $10.00 for any additional copies purchased at the same time.