Motor Vehicle Registration - resident moved from within NH

What do I do when I move from another NH city/town to Merrimack?

You have 30 days upon moving into Merrimack to notify the State Department of Motor Vehicles in writing of your new address. (NH RSA 263:9) A Record Change Request Form can be obtained at the Town Clerk’s Office or online at the State DMV website.

Record Change Request Link:

What do I need to do to renew my vehicle registration in Merrimack?

Registration Renewals: At time of renewal, it is required that you bring in your current registration, proof of identification (driver’s license) and two (2) proofs of residency. 

For all transactions you will need ID and proof of residency.

Residency as defined:  “A resident is a person who maintains his or her true, fixed and permanent residence within the Town of Merrimack, NH.  Does not claim a residency in any other Town or State for any purpose, and who has, through all actions, demonstrated a current intent to designate that the permanent residence is his or her principal place of physical presence for the indefinite future to the exclusion of all others.”

Present to this office a minimum of (2) of the listed documents indicating your address in Merrimack. 

  • Notarized letter from property owner or property manager
  • Lease or rental agreement, duly signed and dated
  • NH motor vehicle insurance policy
  • Elderly or Veterans exemption showing on property tax bill
  • Utility bill listing address as “service address” (cable, electric, oil, sewer, gas)
  • Direct verification by parent or guardian at address provided
  • Copy of Federal Income Tax Return
  • Payroll check
  • Bank Statement

Payment Methods:  The Town of Merrimack accepts cash, personal check (no 3rd party checks), money orders, and debit/credit cards.  There are fees associated with the use of debit/credit cards, paid by the consumer.  Checks are payable to the "Town of Merrimack".

How do I register a new vehicle?

New Purchase: Please refer to the New Purchase section under Vehicle Registrations. 


State of NH - DMV website: